Where is Cwm ?
Cwm is situated in the Ebbw Vale area of Blaenau Gwent, South Wales. Surrounding towns include Brynmawr, Ebbw Vale, Abertillery, Blaina, Tredegar, Rhymney, and Merthyr Tydfil. The village is located halfway along the A4046 from Beaufort to Aberbeeg.
It comprises a small village centre together with the outlying community of Waunlwyd and Victoria.
The Ebbw Fawr river flows through Cwm, joining the Ebbw Fach river at Aberbeeg This confluence forms the Ebbw River, before joining the River Usk at Newport and entering the sea at the Severn estuary.
Cwm made its name during the Industrial Revolution, when it was a central hub for coal. Several mines and colleries were opened, most notably the Marine colliery, and coal was first produced here in 1893. The collieries were all very successful, but by the 1980s the industry was beginning to decline and many in the area were closed. The Marine Colliery was the last deep mine in the Ebbw valleys and closed in March 1989.
Since 2001 Cwm has been designated a Communities First area due to the high levels of deprivation measured in the area.
The village of Cwm lies approximately 3 miles South of Ebbw Vale in the county of Blaenau Gwent, and had had its roots in the Coal and Steel Industries. The village was built in late 1800's and the early 1900's mainly for the Coal Industry,the coal industry ceased in 1989 after more than 100 years. Since the closure of these industries, employment in Cwm now consists of light industry and small commercial industries.Many people now travel further afield for employment.
The hillsides on both sides of the valley used to have quite a few coal levels working, some can still be seen.
The community has a strong sense of identity which focuses on activity & educational opportunities at Cwm Junior School, The Salvation Army Hall & Tirzah Baptist Church, there are also Youth clubs operating in the village.
There are several stores in the Main Street ranging from food stores to newsagents ironmongers and a large mans' outfitters.
There are 4 active Churches 2 Public Houses and 5 Social Clubs.
The focal point of the village is the Cwm Community Institute which was established by the early miners and steelworkers.
There is a Statue erected at the south end of the village in memory of the men who lost their lives in the Mining Industry in the Ebbw Fawr Valley.
Views around Cwm taken in May 2012